First 2017 Call for GENiE Short Term Scientific Missions
Application Deadline: 30/10/2017
Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) are exchange visits aimed at supporting individual mobility, strengthening existing networks and fostering collaboration between researchers. A STSM should specifically contribute to the scientific objectives of GENiE (http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/bmbs/BM1408), whilst at the same time allowing those partaking in the missions to learn new techniques, gain access to specific data, instruments, or methods that are not available in their own institutions.
STSM Criteria and Eligibility
- One of the participant labs must be a member of GENiE with preference given to missions between two GENiE member labs.
- The proposed project should have a sound scientific justification and result in outputs that will advance the objectives of GENiE.
- Priority will be given to:
- Early Career Investigators (awarded PhD no more than 8 years before the application deadline).
- Applicants who have not previously benefited from COST funding through GENiE unless the proposed mission will advance a collaboration initiated through a previous GENiE activity.
- The duration of the mission must be at least 5 days, with a maximum of 90 days. In addition to the standard STSM, ECIs are also eligible for an extended visit with a duration between 91 and 180 days.
- It is COST policy to promote gender balance, enable early career investigators, and broaden geographical representation so women, ECIs, and researchers from Inclusiveness Target Countries* are particularly encouraged to apply.
An STSM grant is a fixed financial contribution and does not necessarily cover all expenses related to performing a given mission. The Grant is a contribution to the
overall travel, accommodation and meal expenses of the Grantee.
- For standard STSMs (5 to 90 day durations) the grant will cover eligible travel expenses and up to €160/day for accommodation and meals. The total
combined amount of the grant will not exceed €2500.
- For extended STSMs (91 to 180 day durations; ECIs only) the grant will cover €160/day for accommodation, meals, and eligible travel expenses. The total
combined amount of the grant will not exceed €3500.
- Applicants must apply using the COST online system at https://e-services.cost.eu/stsm. Applications are now completed entirely on the e-
COST website. Detailed instructions are available in the STSM Guidebook which can be downloaded here: http://www.cost.eu/module/download/60300
- Following the STSM, successful applicants will also need to submit a Scientific Report (maximum 1 page) detailing the activities carried out during the STSM and a letter from a senior scientist at the Host Institution officially approving the report.
Applications will be considered by the GENiE STSM and Action Activities Committee (SAAC) and successful applicants will be notified by e-mail (please check your spam folders if you do not hear within a week of the application deadline). For more information, please see the COST Vademecum at: http://www.cost.eu/Vademecum/
*Inclusiveness Target Countries include: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Serbia and Turkey